View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 05:18 PM
KEVIN MIZE
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
Well that's where we disagree, and that is certianly fine. I think 500 HR is enough to get anyone elected to the Hall, regardless of anything else (assuming they didn't use PEDs). What you're saying above is, that if Dunn had 500HR and some other skill set to accompany it, then he could be considered for the HOF. Other players have gotten into the HOF having been known for just one skill.

Speaking of great fielders, look at Ozzie Smith. He sure didn't get in on his offensive numbers. He was known as a great defensive player - look at all the Gold Gloves. What did he do offensively? Not jack! He's has 2460 hits, only 28 career home runs, 793 RBIs, a .262 lifetime batting average. Had he been just a mediocre third baseman defensively, he would not be in the HOF. In other words, he got in ONLY on his defensive skills. He was a one trick pony.

I realize we're talking about 2 different position players, but my point is this. Why does Smith get in with only one set of skills, but not Dunn?
How much higher was Smith's BA vs. Dunn? Just curious...Again, I have never seen a player strike out at the rate Dunn does...