View Single Post
Old 09-02-2014, 12:16 AM
Todd Schultz

Default Hi Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by timn1 View Post

In the final analysis, no single stat (OBP, BA, SLG, HR total) is enough to evaluate a player's overall career. I happen to think SLG and OBP are the most crucial ones, but even then Dunn doesn't make my HOF despite his undeniable skills in those areas. There is something to be said for all-around skill a la Molitor, Yount, Bench, Winfield, etc etc.
I agree with this, and your preferred stats reveal that even David Justice had a higher OBP and higher SLG than Dunn while playing for a similar period of time.

I am a firm believer that a HOFer must be elite or nearly so during his time in the game. Dunn has played 14 years and only received MVP votes three times. Worse, even in those three seasons he did not finish in the top 20 and received less than 3% of the vote, finishing tied or behind such legends as Marcus Giles, David Eckstein and Johnny Estrada. If you can't make any greater mark than that among your own contemporaries (even using Justice as an example again shows he received votes 5 times and finished 3rd and 5th, and Kong also received votes 5 times), why should I begin to consider you as worthy of a Hall for All-Time greats?
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.