View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 07:07 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ooo-ribay View Post
Not really. A strikeout can't advance a runner, drive in a run or put pressure on the defense.
I totally agree - check out the MLB average runs scored this year and the several years leading up to it and then check the increase in acceptance of strikeouts. There is a direct connection.

Then, check out the Braves as a microcosm of this. They made it to the playoffs by the hair of the chins and are the only team in history to qualify for postseason play while having TWO regular position players with BA's below .200. The only reason this didn't cause them to set an all-time record for LOBs is the fact that they don't walk enough.

We live in the age of Pinball Baseball and though I would never offer up Adam Dunn as a Hall-of-Fame candidate, I have enjoyed his contribution to this 'phase' in baseball history. Dunn, himself, has downplayed any discussion of he even being a great athlete...but he has been a great one-trick donkey!

By the way, with the NL Batting Leader currently at .311, look for some 'tweaking' to be done to the rules in order to increase the offense. Yes, you heard it here first.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente