View Single Post
Old 08-31-2014, 12:16 AM
Bill Gregory

Thank you for the input, Luke.

You know, I understand why tpgs have broken their grading down the way they have, but if you look at that card, it's pretty spectacular looking. Ok, so it has a minute little line, and just a hint of lighter background around it. It's not a perfect card by any means. But should that destroy the card's grade? There need to be graduated point deductions, because this card is better looking than a lot of the PSA 4s I've seen. If you have to stare at something under a loupe to see the flaw, it shouldn't carry a heavy fine.

Maybe what I'm saying is that this whole grading thing is BS.

Maybe I'll just keep it, build my set without getting it graded, and when I'm done, I'll get another copy of the Crawford throwing graded, and start a second collection of T206 Hall of Famers.

God, I really wish that PSA, SGC and Beckett didn't exist. It's easy to say "well, then don't get your cards graded", but being what I am, still a broker at heart, I can't simply ignore it, because I know the other people in the market don't ignore it. And if it ever came to pass where something truly horrific happened and I had to sell my collection, having them not graded would greatly impact what I could get for them.

I hate this. I want to just have a beautiful set that I can enjoy. But I can't turn that part of the brain off that says "hey, if you do pop that Walter Johnson portrait out, you're knocking off 1/3 of its resale value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeLyon View Post
I think I would just leave it raw to avoid the possibility of being really bummed if it comes back a 1.5. I don't know if they would notice it, but it seems like something they would be trying to catch. Beautiful card regardless.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.