View Single Post
Old 08-19-2014, 10:18 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolemmings View Post
Um, I'm no Braves guy and haven't watched their Superstation games in years, but aren't you guys talking past each other? Skip is dead, and clydepepper is ranting about his son Chip, or am I missing something?
I have already penned some of the reason why, but the biggest reason is because the Braves' had their best broadcasting duo in Joe Simpson and Jon Sciambi, but let the later leave for ESPN (with slip replacing him). I thought they had amazing chemistry and added a lot to the telecasts.

slip was really proud of himself with the 'Jay-Hay Kid' moniker he prematurely hung around Jason Heyward's neck and the homerun call, 'Welcome to the Show' which he Yelled after Heyward's first AB homer, as well Yelling the unbelievably corny 'It's a Rocky Mountain High' when a Colorado pitcher completed a no-hitter against the Braves (in Atlanta, not the Rockies, by the way). It's all about volume to slip.

The worst thing about any sports play-by-play is repetition, followed very closely by excess information being provided. slip is monumentally bad on both of these counts.

Frequently, I'll turn off the TV volume and just listen to Don Sutton on the radio. Mr. Sutton is very, very good and you can feel that he respects the game.

Broadcasters are entrusted with some of our fondest memories - and there are a whole lot of them who think only of themselves.

I hope that this makes the reasons for my strong feelings clearer.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente