View Single Post
Old 08-03-2014, 08:22 AM
Brad

Quote:
Originally Posted by k-dog View Post
I am too tired to do the math...but Topps is releasing "High Tek" later this year and it is going to have a ridiculous amount of cards just in the base set. It's stuff like this will ultimately force set builders and player collectors out of the hobby for good!
I disagree about set builders. There could be a variety of reasons why set collectors might be dwindling, but I don't think the release of a massive set like this would drive set builders out of the hobby.

I can understand a level of frustration for player collectors. If a set comes out with lots of each player in it, that would be irritating and costly for sure.

I am a set builder, but I don't feel that I'm an EVERY SET builder. I don't buy every product out there and if a set doesn't appeal to me - and a set with 2200, 3500 or 9600 cards certainly does not - I simply won't buy it or build it.

Besides doing a base Topps set with my kids each year, I don't buy a lot of modern cards and I have no idea what Topps Tek is, but I don't see this as a problem. Buy - and build - what you like. If people don't support a set with more than 800 or so cards then Topps will stop doing it (I would think).

Just my two cents.