View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 08:58 PM

Default Variation clarification

Welcome to the discussion, Richard. I use your variation list every time I go to a show and I deeply appreciate the work you have done in listing variations.

The Cox YT was listed first as a "variation" in 1983 Sport Americana Price Guide #5, and the Brinkman YT in 1987 (volume 9). Denny Eckes first noted the Brinkman and I bought my first MB Brinkman from him in 1986.

All Milton Bradley 68 cards are yellow backs and vice versa. This includes the Cox/Brinkman. They were only produced in the game but have become widely dispersed as many of the MB collectors on this board will attest.

To be consistent, PSA should list all 77 MB baseball cards as variations or none. There is nothing different about the Cox and Brinkman except they were obvious from the team letter CORRECTIONS, hence their inclusion in the guidebooks, still 15 plus years after they came out.

The MBs do belong in some kind of master set. It is possible that PSA may recognize a third category down the road--the regular set; the master set with the checklist variations, and cards #10 and 400; and a super set that would include the latter plus the 77 MBs.

This would be consistent with how they dealt with the 1962 green tint cards. PSA lists the regular set, the master set with variations, and a super set with all the green tints.

The very strange cards I listed tonight are bizarre. I didn't mean to confuse anybody.

As to the value, it is based on supply and demand. The prices on these cards are going up. A PSA 10 Brinkman sold for almost 4000 recently, a PSA Ryan 7.5 for 3200+, and a PSA 9 Gaylord Perry for 500 last week with spirited bidding.

Not enough sales information yet for a price guide.

I lost a bid for a PSA 9 Ted Savage a few months ago to a fellow MB collector. It went for over 200, with several individuals bidding over 150. A PSA Savage is a common that usually sells for 20-25.