View Single Post
Old 04-03-2014, 12:23 PM

I truly treasure the DVD that Mastro Auctions sent with their catalog to introduce the auction of his massive high quality collection. Listening to The Jack Benny Show on the radio while mounting his card collection in those albums--what a beautiful word picture. Painstaking work, but filled with contentment when done.

Doug Allen did not fly over to see Mr. and Mrs. Carter. Lionel lived in close by Evanston, Illinois. They had resided in that home for many, many years. I got to visit him a couple of times in the early 70s. What a delight and privilege!

As I recall, the Mastro Auction people helped the police recover Mr. Carter's collection, though the exact details escape me. It was soon after that that Lionel phoned Doug Allen to begin proceedings about auctioning his collection.

What I will always remember is that afterwards National Public Radio interviewed Mr. Carter about the auction of his collection, and the huge windfall of money it generated. Lionel replied simply, "I'd really rather have the cards."

I miss Lionel. I miss his forceful hobby articles.

Last edited by brian1961; 04-03-2014 at 12:25 PM.