View Single Post
Old 03-25-2014, 07:49 AM
Paul S

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
100% agree. If I buy a card for $100 (and VCP average is $140), put it on Ebay for .99 cents and after a whopping 10 day auction, see the $100 card sell for $52.50, then I won't be in business for long. Alot of the buyers aren't supporting the true 99 cent auctions. They seem to support Probstein and PWCC but hardly anyone else. I am afraid that is what is happening on Ebay right now.
I don't quite understand this. If the VCP average is $140 and you put it on eBay for .99 cents, why would it sell for $52.50? Wouldn't other knowledgeable dealers, such as those on this forum who know the true value of the card, bid it up to at least $100 or more? Economists will tell you that the value of something is what other people are willing to pay for it. Considering the relatively wide exposure a listing gets on eBay, why isn't the eBay auction sales price the true value?

I am not saying this in order to criticize you, or say that you must have overpaid or should accept the low eBay price. I'm just curious about why the price of cards sold at auction on eBay would be considerably lower than what many here think is the true market value of those cards. If that's the case, why aren't people on this forum buying them, or bidding them up closer to the perceived market value?

I know, for instance, that if I went out and bought a brand new $400 cell phone and listed it on eBay at .99 cents, it would probably sell for $375 for so. That's basically the market price minus what I would call a "risk discount," the discount a consumer would need in order to entice them to accept the risk of buying on eBay rather then from a more established retailer. I could then list another $400 cell phone and get pretty much the same price.

Any thoughts on why the market for cards on eBay is so illiquid?

Last edited by pbspelly; 03-25-2014 at 07:50 AM.