View Single Post
Old 03-19-2014, 10:05 AM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffrompa View Post
Here are the basics but we added some other elements such as leaning cards against a wall to try and knock them over to win them .

Rules are simple; from a standing position, the first player takes a card, holds it along his side and then, with a flip of the wrist, lets it drop to the floor. It lands, with the picture facing up (heads) or the stats facing up (tails). The second player then flips and tries to match the card. If they match (both heads or both tails), player #2 wins the cards, if they did not match, the cards goes to player #1. I lost 100s of cards this way .

My card-collecting buddies and I were very competitive. We played the above described games to win each other's cards.

We called another game we played (my favorite) "sail touch." It was played on a large, open floor area. To start the game, the first player (there were 4 of us kids) would sail a card to the open floor area. Each player, in turn, would then sail a card, the object being to land your card such that any part of it covered any part of any other card that was already laying on the floor. Once someone accomplished this, then each remaining player, in turn, had one chance to sail a card to partially cover any card already on the floor. If these remaining players failed to do this, then the first player won all of the cards on the floor. If one or more of the remaining players also accomplished this, then only these accomplishers remained in the game, which continued on as though no one had yet partially covered another card with his card. I liked this game much better than "knock down" (leaning a card against a wall and sailing cards until someone knocked it down) because the cards didn't get dinged up so badly so quickly!

Our card sailing and flipping games ended when some adult taught us kids how to play poker and blackjack. We then gambled our cards, until we got old enough to get newspaper routes or after-school-jobs, which enabled us to gamble our hard-earned nickels, dimes, and quarters instead. Those were good times in the late 1950's!!
Val