View Single Post
Old 02-02-2014, 10:03 AM
Al Richter

Default 1965

Great set. I built mine by buying a series at a time as they were issued by Topps through the Card Collectors Company in NY. Although I am a set and variations collector there are few real variations in the 1965 set. There are some true variations in some of the CLs ( 1 and 7), and each CL can be found with some minor differences.

Jim Kaat had his name misspelled ( Katt) and lew Krause ( 462) is Pete Lovrich. Bob Uecker posted as a left handed hitter, although the way he batted from either side did not seem to matter much. And notice how many poses are capless...with flat and crew cuts .

And the Astrosome was new and the Colt 45s became the Astros, but only later in the set. Early cards just say Houston

I have the following oddities in my set besides checklists

-47 Harper can be found not infrequently with a white s to his right side
-51 Bryan can be found with a white B in his name
-259 Tigers Rookies can be found with various degrees of red in banner
-305 Carty--can be found with blue in border
-367--Wagner--can be found with different blue in borders
-418 Edwards--can be found with yellow swath at bottom border, or break in Reds in banner, or both, or neither

There were inserts in 1965 packs. There is a set of Embossed cards, which like the 1968 Plaks resemble the player depicted only in your imagination. And, the very fragile Transfers. Separately issued were the Topps Push and Pulls with a 3 card baseball subset

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 02-02-2014 at 10:06 AM.