View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 01:44 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Default Change of Pace: 1962 Green Tints (scan heavy)

It's late and I was uploading my complete 1962 Topps Green Tint run to my bucket, so I figured I'd post them here for the heck of it. I can't recall ever seeing the entire thing posted together in one place. Hopefully, some of my variation loving brethren will enjoy this spectacle.

I'm sure most of you already know this, but the beauty of the 'green tints' is the fact that each card's artwork is cropped differently than their regular counterpart. So, although the greenish (or dulled) hue is readily apparent in many/most of these cards, there remains a distinct disparity between the two versions of these cards apart from the color balance, making them true variations.

Notes:
1. Mack Jones (#186) is one of the toughest GT’s to recognize. His sky remains blue and the difference in cropping is so minimal, it’s almost imperceptible. If you look close enough, though, there does appear a slight greenish/yellowish aura around his hat that helps give it away.
2. Other than the 4 or 5 cards that have shockingly green backgrounds/fields, one of the easiest (funnest?) GT's to recognize instantly is the 'Greatest Sports Hero' card (#143). The girl's neon dress just jumps off the page at you!
3. Besides what's contained within the 'Babe Ruth Special' subset, there are only 2 GT HOFer's (Al Kaline and Ron Santo).
4. For my money, Gehrig And Ruth (#140) is the hardest GT to get at a decent price.
5. The Hal Reniff portrait version (#139) isn’t a true GT. It is really nothing more than a misnumbered card and it has neither the greenish hues nor any cropping differences when compared to its counterpart (#159). I certainly don’t believe it was printed at the same time as the other GT’s. However, it does remain a true and distinct variation, since it was later renumbered correctly to the aforementioned #159. Ergo, there is no GT numbered 159, as the ‘real’ Reniff GT shows him pitching (#139).
6. The checklist card (#192) is another curiosity. It, too, lacks the true indicators of a GT (hue or cropping), but remains a distinct variation as it differs from its common counterpart by having "Check List, 3" (comma) instead of "Check List 3" (no comma). I imagine (as was common with Topps checklists) it was printed at a different time than the GT cards.
7. A bit of stupidity that has always amused me. The 'Babe Hits 60' GT is often referred to as having the 'foul pole visible in the background.' Um, come on!! The pole they're referring to (behind The Babe to the far left in the scan) isn't the frickin' foul pole. It's part of the stadium structure and it's buried deep in the crowd, way out of play. Who in their right mind would ever call this a foul pole???????
8. There are two green Greens: Dallas (#111) and Pumpsie (#153).
9. I think I got everything correct here, but if I’m off on anything, LMK.
10. If anyone wants to know the secret to spotting the cropping differences between the two versions of a specific card, LMK.
11. Shameless plug: In looking at these scans, I noticed that many of these cards could use an upgrading, either based on general shape or the infamous Topps centering problems. If you have any of these guys in better shape than mine, I do have a whole bunch of GT doubles to trade (plus a ton of other stuff, too), so give me a shout.

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.

Last edited by JollyElm; 11-05-2014 at 03:28 AM.