View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013, 10:29 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradH View Post
Scott - You might be right about the first four being the only ones to get in this year, but I don't think this is quite an "apples to apples" comparison. Cox and La Russa are on a different ballot than the players. The will still need 75% of the vote, but it's from a 16-member panel that will be announced on Dec. 9, not the usual group of several hundred writers that will be announced in January.

Jeff - I agree - I don't see any way Thomas gets a higher percentage than Maddux.

Ben - yes, it was either 2000 or 2001, and it was mid-season. The TV crew (not radio) was barred from traveling with the team on the start of a trip the next day. That lasted literally just for one city - Montreal - and then it was smoothed over and they were back on the flights again.
In all honesty I only rag on Glavine and Maddux because I am a Braves hater from way back. Every body looks at things different and I believe only the really greats should get in on the first try. Maddux is one of those players but Glavine is not. I would not have a problem with him getting in next year, but no way first ballot. The second saddest day in baseball for me was when Maddux passed Clemens on the all time wins list.