View Single Post
Old 11-11-2013, 04:24 PM
Val Kehl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Barry- I have seen a few other red backed e222s but they are a very scarce subset, no doubt. I know Val has or had one that was the nicest E222 I have ever seen.

Peter- No, not handmade (I don't think), but they were made by a company (Fulton Press) that was a printing company to start with. That might account for the wide variety of backs on a low number of cards. There was a great article done by a board member in an OldCardboard magazine several years ago. I think, but am not sure, I am only missing one back variety now. I will have to do some more research to verify it though. It's amazing the almost infinite number of ways to collect our little gems.
Hey Leon, thanks for ruining my Heritage-Auction-ending night! I also wanted this E222 Otey card, as it is both an E222 player and E222 back variety that I don't have - if only I had deeper pockets!

Being serious, I truly congratulate you on this great pickup! I had a gut feeling you might be bidding on it, as I knew from my past research that you didn't have this back variety. FYI, I believe you now need 2 back varieties, same as me (not counting the A.W.A. back) - but, fortunately (for me!), we no longer need the same backs!

The other good news for me is I know where to come after this Otey card, which I will do just as soon as I come up with a Niagara Baking card to trade you!

And, yes, I still have the PSA 5 Hooker card with the red/rose colored back. At the risk being considered a show-off, here it is (sorry, but the only pic I have of it at this moment also has my other E222 with the same back design).

Best,
Val
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222AWHCaramels-Guiheen&Hooker-Fronts.jpg (72.8 KB, 504 views)
File Type: jpg E222AWHCaramels-Guiheen&Hooker-Backs.jpg (72.6 KB, 502 views)