View Single Post
Old 11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylbry View Post
Nobody should get in. None are worthy. It's obnoxious how we all know and dislike how the Hall is being watered down with lesser talent only to keep giving those lesser talents more opportunities to get in. Ron Santo being the perfect example. How many times was his candidacy vetted? Has to be over twenty times? Seems to be we keep giving players opportunities until those voting forget said player was good enough to be elected in the first place.

And Miller being on the ballot is a joke. He was a labor leader and never set foot on the field. It is bad enough that umps, owners, and commissioners are in.

Putting down the mic and humbly getting off my soap box. I thank you for wasting a minute to read my opinion.
Speaking as one who believed Santo belonged in the Hall long ago, I vehimently disagree. As you can see with the induction of players like Santo and Blyleven, the Hall recognizes that how players were perceived when they were originally voted on can change over the years. Advanced metrics now show some players, such as Blyleven and Santo, to have been far more valuable than was previously thought. This is the reason for votes such as these.

As for Miller, he is one of the most important figures in the history of the sport. There should be little doubt about that. Yes, Curt Flood took his case to the Supreme Court, but Miller was there with him. Miller effectively ended the reserve clause, and he made the baseball players union into perhaps the strongest in the country. His actions helped lead the game to where it is today financially. Heck. If Bowie Kuhn is in the Hall of Fame but Marvin Miller isn't...???? Seems a bit ass-backwards to me.

Tom C

Last edited by btcarfagno; 11-05-2013 at 09:32 AM.