Thread: pwcc (part two)
View Single Post
Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 AM
Dan Bretta

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
I can understand why a bidder would do that based on what you're saying(although I think it's unethical). However, you have to realize how that makes you look as a seller. I beilve you, Dan, that you're not shilling your own items, but to an eBay bidder it may look otherwise.

I rarely sell anything on eBay anymore but, if I were a volume seller and I had bidders retracting their bids, I would ban them as bidders.

You have to look at this from a buyer's perspective. If I'm high bidder on an item and another bidder places multiple bids to expose my proxy and then retracts his last bid, to me I feel like I have been shilled up. When that happens to me as a bidder, I retract my bid as well because I think the seller is up to something.
I have had a few people accuse me of shill bidding in these instances...I just give them the ebay ID of the person who did it and tell them to contact ebay.

And I love the "entered wrong amount" excuse of people who bid 20 times and then retract their bid.

edited to add: I have also recently found out there are local dealers intent on wrecking some of my auctions...my brother and I recently started attending the state surplus auctions...it can be tricky listing some of the items you get there, we had to re-list a few items multiple times before finally getting a real bidder. Ebay needs to make it much harder to set up an account with them.

Last edited by slidekellyslide; 10-30-2013 at 09:47 AM.