View Single Post
Old 10-18-2013, 01:23 PM
Hen.ry Mos.es

Default so nice

you said it twice. I honestly think it's too early to tell about the Plank as it ain't over 'till it's over - I just looked at a few "choice" items and the bidding levels suggest that most of the action (as usual) will transpire in the late night hours. That being said - it will be a long time coming until restoration of cards other than the rarest among them produces values equal to or exceeding it's unaltered counterpart in it's lesser condition. I'm talking about legitimate/disclosed restorations of course.
I am reminded of the interesting Lipset undertaking (15 or so years ago) of detailing the process from start to finish on one of the elusive Darby Chocolate cards. I was "typing"base ball cards then and actually had an example in poor condition. I remember at that point making the decision that my cards would be as found (at least to the best of my knowledge) as the originality of their condition was as important to me as the graphics and history. I didn't follow thru on my "typing" challenge as too many cards were elusive and expensive - but have kept true to my original parameters if not the scope. I need a clean N162 Anson but won't be adding one that's restored altered/trimmed to my set. Not sure how I got to that point as it's mostly about the graphics but unless the card was offered at an absurd discount - it would never make it into my set - and even then it would just be holding a "place on line".
I'm always unsure when one uses the word "restoration" if they mean that or more specifically "conservation" where I believe the intent is to restore but in such a manner as to allow that the item can be returned to the state before the work was done. I have conserved a few advertising pieces - never a card. We are all on this earth for a moment in time - and my "stuff" I assume to be on loan.......

Last edited by 1880nonsports; 10-18-2013 at 01:35 PM. Reason: to include altered/trimmed