View Single Post
Old 10-12-2013, 01:29 AM
Mîçhæ£ ßöw£ß¥

In sports my best find was at Brimfield. It was in the early 1990's. I remember stopping at this table where this older gentleman had a table filled with paper items. A large pile was envelopes all addressed to a Confederate General and at the time I was buying and selling a lot of Civil War signatures. I bought those from him just to give away to my customers and as he was getting them ready I looked at his pile of first day covers (FDC's). Sitting right on the top was a 1939 Baseball FDC signed in beautiful fountain pen by Johnny Evers. It took me a few seconds to realize who it was as he has an interesting signature of 'John J. Evers'. I asked him the price and he said $10.00. There are times when you just pay and don't try to bargain and this was one of them. I remember walking away with it and hearing his wife say 'He ripped you off!', even though I paid exactly what he asked. I got home a few hours later and sold it over the phone to a collector. That is my best sports flea market find, Civil War autographs is another story.......