View Single Post
Old 09-09-2013, 04:19 PM
Bill Gregory

Default Show me your Shoeless Joes

The more I read about Joe Jackson, the more I find I am fascinated by the man. He was, of course, one of the greatest hitters to ever play the game. Jackson's contemporary Ty Cobb was an admirer of the White Sox outfielder, saying "Joe's swing was purely natural, he was the perfect hitter." Then there was "The Big Train", Walter Johnson, who said "I consider Joe Jackson the greatest natural player I ever saw." Babe Ruth copied his swing. Yet nearly 62 years after his death, Jackson the man remains something of an enigma.

While the extent of Jackson's involvement in the Black Sox Scandal continues to be debated to this day, there is no denying his popularity, and the demand for his baseball cards remains high.

So, I would like to ask everybody to share their Shoeless Joe Jackson baseball cards, as well as any supplements you may have collected. Also, as somebody who would be interested in adding one of his cards to my collection at some point, I am looking for recommendations. Is his 1940 Play Ball issue going to be his most affordable? The examples I have seen that were in circulation during his career are exceedingly expensive, such as the 1908 E90-1 American Caramel and the 1915 Cracker Jack.

Thank you, and let the parade of Shoeless Joe cards begin!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 09-09-2013 at 04:26 PM.