View Single Post
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 AM
L@nce Fit.tro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Yes they are....and sorry, I thought it was the AL one you were speaking of since you showed it, but your title does say NL ...
LL
Leon, not to worry. If I were you, I'd trot that baby out every time I even heard Horner's name mentioned, regardless of the thread's title

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
I'm not sure a National League one exists, but I could be wrong.
Barry, you could very well be correct that none of the actual NL composites have survived to present day. I was not able to find record of one. That doesn't mean that one doesn't exist just because my quick search didn't turn up any clues, but I would think if one had ever come up in any online auction, multiple instances of the image would turn up in a google search. I didn't see any NL composite images though, just AL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtrain View Post
I posted this picture last year. It is a picture of the composite that I found in a group of newspaper archive photos I purchased. It does not depict the names at the bottom.
Tom, That is very similar to something I turned up last night as I was going through some old purchases I hadn't catalogued, which is what sparked the question. A couple of years ago, I was able to purchase a number of negatives that originated from the Burke/Brace archive, and among them was an 8x10 copy negative that appears to have been shot from an original 1903 National League composite by Carl Horner. It may actually be the original negative that your photo was produced from (I haven't compared them closely to determine).

I am considering cleaning up the scanned image and having some larger prints made, but would want to include something resembling the original legend at the bottom with all of the names. It turns out that the same portraits were used for the individual team composites in the 1904 Spalding Guide, so matching up player ID's will be easier than I originally thought, but I would also like to match the "look" of the original both in terms of typeface/lettering and any odd name abbreviations or nicknames that might have been used.