View Single Post
Old 07-23-2013, 04:48 PM
Kevin Qui.nn

Quote:
Originally Posted by tedzan View Post
Scott and Dave

The UZIT Herzog is "short" (top to bottom) by 1/16th of an inch. I was surprised when SGC gave it a numerical grade. I asked them about this and the grader,
who examined it, said that he saw "no evidence of trimming". This card just happens to be one of those T206's that were factory cut short. He also noted for
comparison, that the EPDG Herzog is "long" by 1/16th of an inch.

In any event, I'm OK with the grades they gave these two cards.

TED Z
using a giant paper cutter, it is not totally uncommon for the dial to be tough to get exactly to a specific size. at least back in the day when there weren't laser precision measurements. it was a hand dial. that is the point of the crop marks. typically they are used as the cut lines. if you make one cut on the crops, the move things around and use a different top card to make the second cut...things can start going awry.

also, depending on the cutter, the back where the paper meets it and "jogs" all of the pages together for the cut can have some minor inconsistencies as well, especially if you start pushing as many pages through the cutter as you can realistically fit.

in addition to that, the hydraulic hammer which comes down can often times shift the top few sheets ever so slightly as it is applying pressure. there are micro amounts of air in between the pages that basically make them float on top of each other if the person was just working with them before cutting them. this would probably be less apparent or less of a factor in a thicker stock such as a card but when you start getting into thinner stuff such as a 40lb paper it can make a difference.

summing all of that up a 1/16 of an inch is not that much

kevin

Last edited by thehoodedcoder; 07-23-2013 at 04:49 PM.