View Single Post
Old 06-15-2013, 10:00 AM
Jerry

OK ... I guess I SHOULD get that book by Fogel/Yee et. al. as I am still kinda' confused about original Type I photographs (Lance if you still have a spare of the Fogel/Yee book you mentioned a few weeks ago you can PM me). My confusion is this. There was a 1938 Lefty Gomez press photo that I bought that I thought was an original Type I (unique ... only one produced at that time) photo until I saw an identical one last night that sold on eBay. The one I saw last night has the same brown paper provenance on the back and same # at the top of the brown paper, same date and ACME/NEA stamps, etc. The only difference is the stamps are in different places on the back than the photo I bought last week. So obviously this Type I photo was developed I assume off the same original negative multiple times by news services and distributed en masse (I'm pretty sure it's not a wire photo). Which now makes me wonder how one knows if a photo is rare in that it was not mass developed off an original negative i.e. a one of a kind Type I? Not sure that made sense. Still learning as you can tell :-) I guess my main questions are:

1) Is a Type I photo a one of a kind photo (no others exist)?
2) If not ... how do you determine if a Type I photo is rare i.e. there were not many of the Type I photo produced?

As always ... thanks for any enlightenment!