Thread: 1972 Topps
View Single Post
Old 06-10-2013, 03:42 PM
Todd Schultz

I never liked the subsets when I was a kid, especially of course the plain checklists, so adding all of these extra cards to take the set to nearly 800 didn't thrill me. I didn't like the In Action shots for that reason, but never really paid attention to the player selection on those. I did like the Aaron, Mays, Bench, Rose and Clemente poses though, among others. A home run trot from Hank is priceless. That candid "Ah c'mon, are you kidding me?" look from Clemente is gold. One thing I remember is a kid in my class didn't care if he had the IA or regular card of any particular player, so I made out well in trades with him (he had the same attitude with '69 Deckles and decals vs. regular card--that was almost stealing).
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.