View Single Post
Old 06-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Craig

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecatspajamas View Post
From the outset, let me be clear that in no way is this thread intended to be a criticism of Marshall Fogel and Henry Yee's work. I have found their research into the various back-stampings of news service photographs to be particularly helpful, as well as their brief histories of the various news agencies and biographies of a number of the photographers who shot the photos we love.

That said, I have read comments in several posts over the last couple of years that, if the book were to be done now, there are certain corrections that would be made and/or additional information that would be included.

Soooo, since nobody seems to know if/when another edition will be published, how about we go ahead and talk about those corrections, additions, etc. that would/should be included if the book were to be re-done. That way, those of us who are so-inclined can get out our pencils and start adding notes in the margins of our already well-worn copies

P.S. I am specifically NOT referring to proposed corrections to/gripes about the "Type" classification system for this thread (Type 1, Type 2, etc). I think that has been hashed out quite thoroughly in other threads and, like it or not, use it or not, doesn't look poised to change any time soon.

P.P.S. I will follow up below with a post of the kind of "correction" I am referring to, just in case anyone jumps in here before I have a chance to get it posted.
Well, for one, I would like to see an update of the types of stampings found on the backs of photos. I believe Henry (or someone) told me that this has already been done. After looking at far to many photos for my own good, I've seen a number of variations in AP, INS and UP stamps that could narrow the time window of use to one or two years. Of course the problem with that is not all the agencies/newsrooms had the most recent stamping and often used an older version for several years after it had been replaced.

A second topic that I think would be useful would be a more detailed history of RC paper and its processing. I believe that the general public initially had access to this type of paper in the late '60's and early '70's. But I have also seen and touched some photos from the middle to late 50's that have a similar feel and coated plastic texture leading me to believe that an early version of that type of paper (and the developing process) may have been available for commercial use earlier than its release to the general public.

And finally a more complete description of optical brightners (spelling?) and how accurate their presence or absence are in determining the relative age of a print.

Sure I can think of some more. I know you have left out the Type classification for now but, and please forgive me but I have to once again get this out of my system, I sure wish the approximately 2 years for the Type 1 would have been approximately 5 years.