View Single Post
Old 04-20-2013, 05:01 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehoodedcoder View Post
hi,

can you link to the buy it now museum please.

what do you mean "raised a bit".?

i have looked up close between the piedmont 150 i have and this card which is sc 350 and i might be wrong about this but it almost looks like they are slightly different in design. i will have to check this better agin when i get home.

side note: if it was felt tip, i would expect it to bleed on the edges, in addtion to my above comments. i don't see any bleeding.

the other thing is, if it was water color. wouldn't you expect it to stain? there is a certian degree of correctability with water colors but there is always a stain that some sort of discoloration that is left behind if water color hits the paper and then is corrected. it is also a little dark for water color, althought i am not an expert on water color colors. i think they are more pastelly right?

kevin
Sorry, the "buy it now museum" is how someone else refered to the assortment of very overpriced cards that are avalable with buy it now - And have been for a couple years. I liked that name and decided to use it.

The one I was looking at was this one.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/190818811835...ht_2082wt_1161

It's got some red in areas that yours does, and where most others don't. The cuff of the sleeve, the area that looks like a line between two sleeves around the elbow, and the folds of the uniform under the arm.

The 150 and 350 may have slight differences. There are a couple where it's obvious like Conroy.
Craigs pair of beaters show some differences between them. It's hard to tell if they're different, or if a bit of it is from the scanner/camera (I'm guessing camera, but that's a great pic for a camera, or a not so good scan)

The sort of ink matters, nearly all inks are either a dye or colorant in a carrier, or a straight dye. Inks used in lithography are all oil based. Markers are an odd collection of types. Some like sharpies are probably oil based, while many of the cheaper markers are water based. (Or less commonly alcohol)

The process of lithography uses a plate that will retain water with sections that are sealed so they will accept the oil based ink which won't stick to the wet plate.
So, the reverse also works. If you have an oil based ink on paper and write over it with a marker that has non-oil based ink the marker ink will write on the paper and not where the ink is.
The inks can be nearly any thickness. Since with a marker you want a nice clean line the ink dries fairly quickly and should be a bit thick. (Not like watercolor paints which are usually mixed to be very wet.)

The top of the hat is hard to explain. On most Delehantys, there's line that makes the curve of the hat. The button on top is shown by an angled line that's connected to the curve on the right hand side. On yours, that angled section is angled up more, and the bit of curve to the left of it is well above the arc of the hat while the rest of the line from the left almost to the middle is right where it's supposed to be.

I may have to do some photoshop or sketch it for it to make sense.

Steve B