Thread: Babe Ruth?
View Single Post
Old 04-08-2013, 06:24 AM
Rich.ard Sch.eck

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetruthisoutthere View Post
Above is my original post.

Of all of the auction houses out there, how did I know that it was Heritage that Richard contacted initially about consigning that Babe Ruth Signed Ticket?

Think about that.

When I first read that Sports Collectors Daily email about the Babe Ruth Signed Ticket, something wasn't right about that Babe Ruth. It was the same feeling I had when I looked at David's avatar of his "1927 NY Yankees" team-signed baseball.

I trust my "autograph eye" more than anything else. Some of you like to make fun of that, but except for one person here, everyone wrote "it looks good." Forgeries are meant to have the appearance of "looking good."

The following is not meant to inflame this thread, but why did David's eye think that the autographs in that autograph book "looked good?"

I immediately checked my exemplar files to examine that particular style sig. I have numerous exemplars (one of which I posted).

Then I started to do my research and posted this thread. I posted this thread earlier then I wanted to, but I felt I had to because the auction was live.

Then everyone got impatient. In the meantime, I continued to do my research on that Babe Ruth Signed Ticket. And still, everyone continued to be impatient.

Research takes time. A lot of time and work.

Scott Garner, commented on the ticket itself. A generic Tigers ticket that was stamped with a date of July 13, 1934 on the day that The Sultan Of Swat slammed his 700th career homerun?

What also piqued my curiosity about the ticket is did The Bambino sign it on a flat surface? The Huggins & Scott auction description reads:

Following that game, her and her father were at The Fisher Building in Detroit where Babe Ruth was doing a radio interview and the woman was sitting next to Ruth's wife. They got to talking and the woman asked if Ruth would sign the ticket stub from the game that she attended where he hit his 700th home run. He obliged the request. The woman held the ticket until 1992, where she gave it to our consignor, as a gift.

I will have more later.

Just for the record, I stand behind my thread 100%.
I contacted Heritage and H&S at the same time (I have emails to prove this). Mr. Rosen, after seeing an email of the ticket offered to send me a package to put the ticket in his auction (I have that email as well). After my conversations with H&S I felt more confortable with them simple as that. And just for the record I stand behind my story 100%.