View Single Post
Old 03-22-2013, 03:32 PM
Steve Birmingham

Copake auction does general antiques auctions and at least one special bicycle auction a year. They're not bad, but I'm currently a bit mad at them and not bidding for a while.

I bid online for a few things in last years bike auction, and thought I'd won three or four. I called asking about an invoice and they said I hadn't won any. Apparently there was a "computer problem" that caused them to lose the bids for some period of time. And no paper backup!
The problem was confirmed by a few people I know who were there in person, but I still don't understand why they'd make a minimal effort at getting the online stuff back then simply continue for 50-60 lots till it got fixed. I know my bids were 3-4x the winning bid on the ones affected, and I didn't win any of the others. They left at least 3-400 on the table from me, and probably a load more considering how high the other stuff went for. The first one I'd bid on that had a problem sold for $40 with my max being 150. One a couple lots earlier that was similar went for around 300.

Steve B