View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 02:56 PM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Most of the reasons why people don't collect rookie cards have been stated, but the bottom line seems to be that it is impossible to do. One might get 90% or more of the known rookie cards with patience and a big checkbook, but finishing the set can't be done. And it would cost millions of dollars even if there was some way to do it. .
This would then suggest that no-one should go after the T-206 set. It's almost impossible to complete...so what do people do, they make sub-sets and create their own definitions of a "complete" set. We HOF Rookie cards do the same thing.

I actually started my journey by looking for any card of players that had 3,000 career hits and/or 500 career HR's. Most of these guys were in the HOF, and once I got a R. Henderson rookie card, it was all over for me. I just loved getting "rookie" cards. To me, I don't care if I never complete this "set" in 100 years, it's the journey that is the most enjoyable part of the collection. I love that I am learning about new cards all the time (take the 1905 Pokomoke Team PC w/ Frank Baker, for example)...

Also, I believe Leon stated that he started out looking for HOF rookie cards and then migrated to type card collecting. Getting a "complete" set of HOF rookie cards would give you quite a bit of variety in the type-card world. I love the variety of the cards in my collection because of it. I think it would be so boring to only go after 1925 Exhibits, for example. The appeal of HOF rookie collecting is the depth and breadth of my collection and the discovery of new items that fit the definition and "change the checklist". I can see why Dan P. got frustrated, but who cares? I love my stuff and don't care whether someone else considers my 1923 Type I Press Photo, which was used to create the 1925 Exhibit card, of Lou Gehrig a "rookie". It is to me!!

And if a new card that pre-dates my example is discovered, oh well! Great! Now I get to learn about a new card / type-card / set and get to decide if I want to pursue it.

And lastly, Leon - - sorry to disappoint, but your Minneapolis Team w/ T. Williams is not the earliest...Phil has a 1937 SD Team Premium and I have a 1937 SD Team PC, shown below! Enjoy!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1937 Williams.jpg (79.2 KB, 140 views)

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)