View Single Post
Old 03-07-2013, 12:37 PM
Barry Sloate

Most of the reasons why people don't collect rookie cards have been stated, but the bottom line seems to be that it is impossible to do. One might get 90% or more of the known rookie cards with patience and a big checkbook, but finishing the set can't be done. And it would cost millions of dollars even if there was some way to do it. Plus, the lack of a consistent definition of a rookie card frustrates too many collectors. We've had numerous threads about rookie cards and there are always so many different opinions about what's what.

I like Jay's idea of collecting one card of choice of each Hall of Famer, difficult enough in its own right. In many cases a player's rookie card is unappealing so why spend big money on it?

Dan P.'s example of Cy Young is a good one. The Just So is unique, and the E107 is a five figure card. Why not simply get a nice portrait, such as a T206 or an E90-1, and call that your Cy Young example? I would rather buy a card that appeals to me aesthetically than one that is ugly but is a player's first. It kind of forces you to buy a card whether you find it attractive or not.