View Single Post
Old 03-06-2013, 06:04 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

Oops, yep, I had a typo and meant 1987 Fleer Larkin.

In regards to the TPG deciding the rookie cards, I am just saying IMHO someone has to decide it. The rookie card discussion has been percolating for a few years. It has to move forward some time. If not the TPG's, then the standard guides should specify the rookie cards. Phil has his list, and it's on oldcardboard also, but it's not widely distributed in the hobby. It's basically just on this board who really know about it. If the hobby or the guides say this is the list, I think there will be a greater following for the list.

In regards to intellectual dishonesty, it is not truly that PSA (or another TPG) is creating the list. What happens is that some knowledgeable collector submits the list to PSA, and then they approve it. I think if Phil were to say to the board, this is the list that I am submitting to PSA for the All Time Hall of Fame Rookie list, people can comment on it like they already have for his other thread that gave a list already. If there are any disagreements, then Phil can make some small tweaks taking into account everyone's opinion. Then he can take that list, and publish it to the PSA, SGC, and Beckett boards, and again take feedback. After this is done, then he can submit that final list to the TPG's, and point to these threads and say that he compiled this list, and this is the work that went into it. He published the proposed list on these respected forums, and after taking the feedback, made the appropriate changes. Therefore, this list is as intellectually honest as any HOF Rookie list is going to be, and then hopefully, the TPG's can publish those lists into their registries. Hopefully, then SCD and the Beckett guides can follow and designate the rookies the same way. Again, not everyone collects rookies. Many people prefer key cards or other ways of collecting. However, for those who do, I think they would appreciate this comprehensive list to use.

Phil, I would think to be realistic, you would need to have a list that contains cards that all 3 TPG's grade. I think in general PSA is the most restrictive since they do not grade cards greater in size than 5x7, they don't grade wrappers (so Overland Candy won't make the list), and they wouldn't grade Real Photo postcards. I am not sure about certain cabinet cards either. So, if there are certain cards that you are unsure of, I would just check the PSA pop report, and see if they have graded it. The other thing you would need to decide is whether to "eliminate" certain rookie cards because they are simple too scarce. As someone already pointed out, there is the Just So Burkett. Do you really want a list that no one can really complete? That may be more honest, but not realistic for collectors. Again, since Phil's put the most work into this, I think Phil should decide on these points and make some executive decisions.