View Single Post
Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by jester View Post
What happens to the pennant if it touches the glass for a short period or long period?
If using thread, how far apart would you put stitches?

Thanks
Jeff

I may be the lone Devil's Advocate...

I have about 30 pennants which have been framed against glass for 20+ years now. I have spot-checked about half of them, and removed them from the frames. In 20+ years of being framed that way, there has been no instance of any degradation to the felt or the graphics. There's never been any hint of a pennant sticking to the glass (if that's the concern). I am not sure what the specific down-side is, regarding the glass touching the felt. Perhaps someone here will clarify.

I've seen countless pennants ruined by using tape or adhesive on the reverse side. And I simply cannot bring myself to put stitches into the actual felt.

The other factor is cost. A professionally framed/matted pennant will cost around $400 to do (perhaps more, depending on options). I have over 50 framed pennants, so it's saved me thousands of dollars to do the framing myself. Even with acid-free mats, conservation glass, etc, it costs me less than $70 a piece, to do it myself.

Just personal preference... I am sure that most here will disagree. Probably best to go with the majority, or (if you want to shell out) Steve's example in post #13.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Ger.jpg (23.2 KB, 195 views)

Last edited by perezfan; 02-26-2013 at 10:22 AM.