View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Todd Schultz

Quote:
Todd, I don't think anyone is trying to prove that the small BF2s were distributed by Ferguson. On the contrary, in an article I wrote for Old Cardboard several years ago I stated that these little pennants could well have been distributed by many different companies and there is to date no real proof of a relationship with Ferguson bakery.
Given this statement, I struggle with the logic of your conclusion. You state these miniature versions using Mendelsohn photos have no proven relationship with Ferguson and could have come from any number of unknown sources, yet it is preposterous that larger pennants depicting the very same photos could have come from anyone but Ferguson? Huh?

I just searched ebay for movie star pennants and found a variety of circa 1916 examples with different lengths. Are they attributed to Ferguson Bakery and if not, is it preposterous to think that whoever made these might also have made larger pennants?

Quote:
All of that is great, but it still suggests that no real Ferguson 9x24s have been found to date and the known 9x24s have an unknown genesis. That seems impossible to me.

Keep in mind that these premiums were not mass-produced like cards were. The blotter may have even been printed BEFORE the actual large pennants went into "production." You needed a whopping 50 tickets to redeem a premium. It would take quite a while to accumulate that many. I can't imagine many of these were redeemed
This too escapes me. You can't imagine that many of these tickets were redeemed for larger pennants, which would then mean that there might not be many/any out there, yet then conclude that it seems impossible that we haven't found any and that those that do exist could be anything other than Fergusons. Why? How is it apparently logical that a multitude of Bf2s can have an unknown genesis but a larger version of those pennants must be tied to Fergusons? Just because of the size? Why not use the Underwood photos already available to you if are Fergusons making large pennants-- why switch to action photos from another source? The actress pennants are not action shots. Why couldn't whoever made the small BF2s have offered larger versions as premiums-- because we can't find a blotter that says so?

I do not reach any conclusions with regard to these, and remain hopeful that further evidence will surface. Until then, I'll just enjoy looking at them and not try to classify/catalogue them one way or another.
If we are to have another contest in the near future of our national existence, I predict that the dividing line will not be Mason and Dixon's but between patriotism and intelligence on the one side, and superstition, ambition and ignorance on the other. - Ulysses S. Grant, military commander, 18th US President.