View Single Post
Old 02-21-2013, 07:39 PM

Default Preposterous though it may be

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty39 View Post
SPEC, as I understand you, you are saying that the large bf2 pennants shown here are not the pennants advertised on the blotter because the picture on the blotter does not match the large pennants. Also that the pillow top is a Ferguson premium because it does match.
On the blotter there is also mention of movie star premiums. I have owned a movie star pillow top premium which matches exactly the style of the baseball pillow top. I have also seen several of the large movie star pennants which again match in style the baseball pennants in this thread.
That both the baseball and movie star pennants do exist and that your hypothetical pennants matching the picture on the blotter have never been discovered seems to make your argument extremely difficult to accept.
I must admit, even I find it more plausible that the 9x24 baseball pennants we've seen are the premiums offered by Ferguson than that not one of these individual pennants has surfaced. However, more than 40 years of collecting in the Boston area without encountering groups of the small pennants, let alone a large one, have made me skeptical that they were issued in this area. The use of Mendelsohn photos and the absence of Boston subjects (besides Barry) make me even more dubious. Since the pillow tops (which do match the blotter illustration) are so rare, perhaps no premium pennants were ordered, or survived.
Meanwhile, this latest group of small pennants plus the large premium suggests the two sizes are connected.
I am not an Internet expert, but I just poked around a bit on Google and discovered that 9x24 is not an unusual size for a pennant, whether vintage or modern, so the size match seems a bit less than compelling. Furthermore, I found an ad in the June 1917 issue of Motion Picture Classic magazine offering both small and large (9x24) movie star pennants for sale by a mail order firm (D.A. Dobie) in Long Island, NY. The illustrations match the movie star pennants we've seen in recent auctions (Legendary, Hake's, etc.).
So, I'm hoping someone runs across an ad offering baseball player pennants, large or small. Another possibility is that the pennants (either baseball players or movie stars, or both) were a national promotion. Ferguson Bakery became affiliated with, I believe, Continental Baking about this time after many years as a locally owned entity.
While all this may seem preposterous to some, I think there's still a lot to learn about these pennants.