View Single Post
Old 02-20-2013, 10:42 PM

Default Agree to disagree

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy View Post
The blotter mentions a 9" x 24" Photo Prize Pennant. The large Evers photo on the blotter is actually an image of one of the pillow top pennants. While nobody has found a 9" x 24" version of a pillow top pennant, over the past 20 years, there have been 15 or so like this Alexander to turn up that do measure 9" x 24." Is there an undiscovered set of large pillow top pennants out there or did the printer take a shortcut back in 1916 and not use an accurate image showing the large 9x24 pennant? I am comfortable making the leap that the 9x24 pennants mentioned on the blotter are referring to the large 9x24s that are in the catalog today, but I guess that conclusion isn't shared by everyone. I would love to hear other theories.

Thanks.

Chris
Your theory that the printer might have taken a shortcut in illustrating the large pennant on the blotter is plausible. However, it does not match the Evers pennant on the pillow top, either, which would likely be the source for this image (note different design around the photo and the inclusion of position above player's name). In addition, none of the players depicted on the known premium pennants has a strong Boston connection (Jack Barry joined the Red Sox midway through the 1915 season, but he was in decline and was never a marquee player), which seems very odd for a Boston product. And, of course, the photos on the premiums, and the BF2s, are from the Mendelsohn repertoir of action shots, not the U & U portraits that appear on the verified D381 Ferguson issue of the same year.

Last edited by spec; 02-20-2013 at 11:06 PM. Reason: added information