View Single Post
Old 02-02-2013, 12:17 PM

Default Photo Authentication Service (Idle thoughts)

I've thought more than once about starting an examination service, but there have always been reasons holding me back:

1) Liability, insurance, security, etc. And paperwork. As I once said before, writing an LOA is 20 percent examining the item, and 80 percent paperwork/shipping etc.
2) In life I only like dealing with honest people. So far I have written a few LOAs, but for people I know or know of. I also have examined photos for auction houses, etc-- but that's a different situation . . . Somone shadowy sending me a large stack of 1915 Babe Ruth cabinets doesn't appeal to me.
3) The $$$$ focus of the hobby can be a turnoff for me. Of course, I understand and appreciate that people buy and sell their stuff, and might want an LOA to facilitate sale. I've myself have bought and sold on eBay, and desired to make money on my sales. But sometimes things can be be too focused on $$. Items are judge solely by what they sold for.
4) I'd offer my opinion. I don't particularly like the word 'authentication.' And I ain't no insurance company. I never in my life aspired to be run an insurance company.

What I always have enjoyed is photos and identifying then. Over the years, I've realized the hobby I enjoy the most is playing Junior Sherlock Holmes.

I'll finish with an interesting Abraham Lincoln photo. No cropping to the image:

Last edited by drc; 02-02-2013 at 12:26 PM.