Thread: OT My postings
View Single Post
Old 01-27-2013, 10:35 AM
Belltown Vintage

Old guys - it's only going to get worse. Kids have more important things to do in their lives than worry about rules, and I mean ANY rules. It could be partly a function of where I live, but the kids I know (and by 'kids', I mean anyone under 30) are only interested in playing video games, drinking and smoking. I know plenty of really intelligent young people who didn't think getting a high school degree was very important. It's cool to be a slacker. From where I am sitting right at this moment, I can look out the window and see 'cool kids' and homeless people. In many cases it's the same people, just on different parts of the same path.

In our generation this attitude generally only lasted through high school, then we had to go get a job. It was a cultural thing, and it protected us.

But back to the topic. English is devolving. Oral language started off purely as a means of communication. Written language gave it rules and thus permanence. Our youth have a distaste for rules. Any method that communicates a thought is now acceptable.

Fight dullardness: Read, write letters, do math in your head.