View Single Post
Old 12-01-2012, 04:05 PM

Default Don't think it exists

Is this the set that was sold at Crosley Field? You could also send away for a complete boxed set. If so,then I don't think the card exists. In the mid 1980's I set up at a show in Atlanta. An old man came in with a shoebox filled with cards from the 30's and 40's. He had mostly non-sports cards; G-men, Sky birds, Superman and the Lone Ranger. The only sports cards were about 100 wide pens and 3 complete boxes of the Harry Hartman Reds cards. He had about 40 or 50 single cards and one extra box.
He asked me if I knew anything about the cards. I told him his non-sports cards were collectible but I knew nothing about the Reds cards. I told him what I thought the non-sports were worth and we worked out a deal. He asked me if I'd give him an extra $10 for the Reds cards. I did.
The next spring I went to the old Willow Grove show and took them to Tommy Reid's table. He told me what he knew about them and mentioned there was a rumor about another card but he didn't believe there was one. Tommy was one of the old timers who didn't mind sharing what he knew and he knew a Hell of a lot about cards. I gave him a boxed set and sold most of the others. I believe I have a boxed set around here somewhere. I'll look but I'm pretty sure out of all these cards I did not have a Debt of Gratitude card. Just my opinion