View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 09:54 AM
Steve Birmingham

I can see both sides of this.

I like access to information, but I also like to think that I use that info responsibly. Not everyone can or will.

The point about someone being unjustly hit for submissions that show a lot of altered cards is valid,and there are some circumstance that haven't been mentioned where this could happen as well.

Lets say I find a nice stack of what look like nice T206s at an estate sale. If the price is low enough I'm not spending much time examining them before I commit to buy. (Hasn't happened yet, but I can always hope)
Then lets say I get home and take a good look at them deciding what to sell and what to keep. And I find that they're all a bit suspect for trimming. And I decide to sell all or most of them. But I think they'll do better graded so off they go. And all come back "A" except for a couple that were within spec but were small enough to fit the sheets the collector used do they didn't get a top or bottom trimming.
That's ok, at least now I'm sure, and I get the benefit of listing them honestly with no doubts. I'd have called them probably trimmed, and may have had some returns/questions. Now I know they're trimmed.

But someone who looks up the submission could say I trimmed them all but got lucky on a couple.
That's not so good, and helps nobody.

With SGCs numbers it may be possible to occasionally identify the submitter, and it's very easy to tell which ones were on the same submission.

Steve B