View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 06:31 PM
Hank Thomas

Instead of focusing on autographs, why don't we ask players to play for a lot less (say a max of $100,000 a year) so the ticket prices could be a lot lower? That would strike most people as absurd, wouldn't it? It's the same for autographs, endorsements, and all the other ways players make money. Why should they take less than the market will give them? It doesn't make any sense. And when autographs were free, how many fans had a chance to get one? Now all you have to do is fork over the price, and you can meet your guy and then frame that baby and put it on your office wall for you and everyone else to enjoy. I'm just not getting the resistance here. Every show I do, I see fans lining up excitedly to get their favorites' autograph. Most of them seem absolutely thrilled to be able to do so, and they've paid it so clearly they're OK with the cost to be able to do that. I sure wish my plumber would go back to the good old days and take care of my problems for $10 an hour. Or how about a free unclogging once in a while? He's done really well by me and his other customers. Why won't he just give something back to us for all that? The fact is he doesn't owe me anything, and neither does Tom Brady.