View Single Post
Old 10-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Brent Niederman
Bre.nt Nieder.m@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by whyconform View Post
And HOF rookie,

Impressive. I don't know how people try to assemble collections w/ strict parameters like yours. Even HOF postcard guys, ball only, or check collectors.... Cuz it is super expensive! That's why I stick to the cheapest medium, typically Cuts. To me an auto is an auto. I never understood why a single signed ball costs more than a team ball. I guess rarity, and for your to collect RC's, super rare!
Thank you for the kind words Bill. I too am in my 20's and growing up around the Twins and getting 'graphs, cards and a team ball were just so simple to carry around, cards the "easiest" because you only needed a notebook or a small case.

What allured me to rookies was that I enjoyed seeing the players' first MLB issued card, or first largely manufactured card. They were also the most valuable do I thought if I was in a financial need, I can make more off of 'rookies' than base cards.

Joe Mauer started my craze when he got drafted I was in 8th grade. At TwinsFest he literally would sign EVERYTHING you had until he was called up. So I had a notebook with 9 cards on a page and he signed them all, and kept going back in line over and over again for years. Lo and behold, I have probably around 300-400 Mauer signed rookie cards.