Thread: Why Autographs?
View Single Post
Old 08-24-2012, 08:08 AM
M@rk Cl@ry

Default Why Autographs?

Since we all have varied backgrounds and, ultimately, could have picked any type of memorabilia to invest our time and money in, what directed you to autographs?

I loved baseball cards as a kid (growing up in the 80's) and still have an appreciation for them but there was just something about getting a player's autograph. Living fairly close to Cooperstown, has given me access to HOFers as a little boy up to now. I remember getting Spahn, Slaughter and Feller as a kid. I didn't really know them from any other old guy, but my brother insisted I meet them and get an auto.

My Dad, a huge baseball fan, was never really 'into' autographs but would love to tag along with me when I would get one. He took any opportunity to complain about pitch counts with Earl Weaver and Jim Palmer and tell Willie Mays that he was the best he ever saw. My Dad's gone now but those memories will certainly stick with me and will eventually be shared with my son.

The over saturation of the autograph show in the late 90's soured me a bit. I can remember seeing, for the first time, a tiered price structure based on what's being signed at a National (good ole Reggie). Something didn't feel right about spending big money to get autographs of guys that made a great living in baseball (unlike Slaughter, Feller and so on).

This made me look into getting vintage autographs. I love those GPC's and other fulfilled autograph requests from HOFers to their fans. There was no thought of investment value. It was just a way for a fan to get a piece of their favorite player.

Well, I went way on way longer than intended but I wanted to share.