View Single Post
Old 06-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Ted Zanidakis

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankWakefield View Post

I think the T206 progression is much like you and Scot Reader have it. But I think Coupons were an afterthought. American Litho looked around for the old plates and stones that were still serviceable, and printed Coupons from that.

I think Mr. Burdick had it about right.
Frank

1st......regarding your last comment...." I think Mr. Burdick had it about right. "

Check out Burdick's records. He dates the T213-1 set circa 1912-14. His data on these cards is absolutely incorrect. In his extensive cataloguing efforts, he
took the easy way out and included them with the T213-2 & -3 sets. I don't fault him for doing so, given the information he had back in the 1930's - 1940's.

I have no expectations of convincing you; however, you credit Scot and I for our "T206 progression". Therefore, consider this....the Demmitt and O'Hara (NY
and St Louis) variations provide us an insight as to the timeline of the initial POLAR BEAR (PB) press run..circa June 1910. So, what does this have to do with
this "COUPON" issue ?
Of the 48 Major League subjects in this set, 39 are POLAR BEAR No-Prints. Excluding the 6 super-prints from the equation, 39/42 is a considerable majority.
I'd say this data sets the timeline for the printing of these COUPON cards to some date prior to June 1910.

Finally, I somewhat agree with your...."But I think Coupons were an afterthought." In the Spring of 1910, ALC was in the process of printing these 48 - Major
League guys in their regular T206 press runs. So, ALC ran off a bunch of 48-card (or 96-card) sheets of these cards with the "COUPON" backs. Then shipped
these cards to Factory #3 in Louisiana to be placed in boxes of "COUPON" cigarettes.....or, simply handed out to customers of these cigarettes.

Best regards ole buddy,

TED Z