View Single Post
Old 06-05-2012, 06:50 PM
Tony Gordon

Tabe, I don't think you sell on eBay. Here's my sordid tale: I am a MAC user. When eBay periodically upgrades its site, certain functions cease to work unless I upgrade my system software. So every few years, I update my system software so I can do things like list pictures in my auctions. At some point, Apple came out with system software that would not load on my Mac G4. So in order to continue selling cards on eBay, I purchased an iMac with the latest system software about three years ago.

In regard to the printer, Ebay is now requiring sellers to have delivery confirmation on 90 percent of sold items. Most cards I sell are post-war and are below $10, so I don't get delivery confirmation on these items because it's not cost effective. But now that I'm required to do so, eBay offers discounted delivery confirmation if you purchase it through them. So I bought a printer for the sole purpose of printing out an eBay shipping label with postage/delivery confirmation.

The scanner. I have an old scanner that was actually top of the line when I bought it in the 1990s. It stills works great. However, over the years my scans started to appear foggy and I received alerts from eBay that my scans were not "optimal." So I went out and bought a new scanner and apparently my scans are now optimal.

Obviously, eBay didn't hold a gun to my head and force me to make these purchases. But I've come to rely on the income from my eBay sales and in order to maintain the status quo, I made the purchases.