Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards 2008 (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89358)

Archive 01-06-2008 04:28 PM

Standard Catalog of Baseball Cards 2008

Posted By: <b>Robert {Bigb13}</b><p><P>What happened to Bob Lemke? He is no longer the Editor of this book? Rob</P>

Archive 01-06-2008 04:55 PM

Posted By: <b>Dave Hornish</b><p>I believe Bob retired from Krause/F&W about a year and a half ago.

Archive 04-10-2008 09:00 PM

Posted By: <b>Don Fluckinger</b><p>After Bob left, the Standard Catalog duties fell to me and Joe Clemens and Justin Moen. I cover vintage cards, Joe modern, and we report to Justin on the book.<br /><br />Bob is still a consultant on the catalog, and offers much wisdom on pricing issues and how to catalog new finds and much more great stuff. He is a gentleman and a scholar, and I am pleased he is still involved in the book.

Archive 04-10-2008 09:08 PM

Posted By: <b>David Vargha</b><p><font color=blue>Wasn't Bob sort of forcibly removed against his wishes?</font><br><br>DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Archive 04-12-2008 12:55 PM

Posted By: <b>Bob Lemke</b><p>Hello David,<br />No, I left Krause/F+W entirely of my own free will on May 1, 2006. I had the opportunity to join the cataloging division of Whitman Publishing (world coin titles) and was very pessimistic about the future of F+W, or more specifically, the various sports collecting books and publications within F+W. In the two years since I left, F+W has folded many periodicals and long-standing book titles in the antiques and collector-car fields, but the sports division has remained relatively intact . . . to my surprise, and for which I'm grateful on behalf of my colleagues "left behind." <br /><br /><br />

Archive 04-12-2008 03:03 PM

Posted By: <b>Tom Boblitt</b><p>all the Coach's Corner revenues bolster the mother ship........<br /><br />Okay.....couldn't resist.<br /><br />Bob IS a gentleman and great guy...........Whitman is better for the move.

Archive 04-12-2008 03:04 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>Thanks for that post, Bob.<br /><br />I know that Bob really worked to improve on the Standard Catalog, and he pushed toward having a reference work of true quality. I was concerned when he left, fearful of what might happen. I was heartened by Don Fluckinger's efforts to stay the course Bob was pursuing. I think it is the best single reference publication available. Don is doing well.<br /><br />I still refer to Mr. Lipset's works, to The American Card Catalog, to Egan's Lists, Mr. Horn's book on ZeeNuts, and the fine T206 works of Reader, of Allen, and Mr. Heitman. But if limited to just one book, the Standard Catalog is a pretty good one, and getting better.