Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   federal league, cracker jacks (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=89086)

Archive 03-17-2008 08:33 PM

federal league, cracker jacks

Posted By: <b>jim sexton</b><p> I just picked up a lot of 1915 cracker jack federal league cards in the recent Hunt auction. Is there some place that lists all the Federal league players in the 1915 set? There are no team affiliations listed in the Standard Catalog. How difficult would it be to complete a set of Federal league players in low to mid grade? Are there some players extemely hard to find and/or extremely expensive? Thanks for any help.<br />

Archive 03-17-2008 09:28 PM

Posted By: <b>Jantz</b><p>www.teamsets4u.com/checklist/pre1950/1915crackerjacks.html<br /><br />Hope this helps,<br />Jantz

Archive 03-17-2008 09:59 PM

Posted By: <b>Frank Wakefield</b><p>What you'd really find helpful is that great work that Mr. Lipset published about 30 years ago. If you don't have one, you NEED one if you're looking at figuring out the Cracker Jack cards.<br /><br />Encyclopedia of Baseball Cards, Volume 2, Early Gum and Candy Cards, by Lew Lipset.<br /><br />With that, you can figure out who's in the 1914 set that isn't in the 1915 set, and conversely. More happened than merely adding 32 cards. It lists the team affiliations. While the prices are dated, the information that Mr. Lipset sets out leaves modern catalogs in the dust. We owe him a debt of gratitude for putting this Encyclopedia, as well as his other two, together and publishing them.<br />

Archive 03-17-2008 10:15 PM

Posted By: <b>jim sexton</b><p>Thanks for the link.<br /> I found the players for all eight Federal teams. I think I answered some of my other questions too. There are more than a few tough players on those lists. I didn't realize how many name players were in the Federal league. I am going to have to rethink my goals. Thanks again.

Archive 03-17-2008 10:19 PM

Posted By: <b>jim sexton</b><p>Frank, Thanks for the info. I have the encyclopedia on my shelf. Didn't think to consult it. best wishes.

Archive 03-18-2008 05:15 AM

Posted By: <b>bruce Dorskind</b><p><br /><br />Jim<br /><br />We suggest you acquire the SABR Book on the Federal League<br />which is available on Amazon.com<br /><br />The Federal League of 1914-1915: Baseball's Third Major League (Paperback)<br />by Marc Okkonen (Author)<br /><br />We have the largest collection of Federal League memorabilia extant<br />including<br /><br />1. Programs for six of the nine teams<br />2. Tickets for five different teams<br />3. Chase and Tinker Federal League special programs<br />4. Three Federal League Pennants<br />5. Season Pass<br />6. Federal League Contracts<br />7. Letter from the only Federal Leaguer to pitch a no hitter<br />8. Three team display pieces<br />9. Federal League team post card collection<br />10. Sheet Music for the Buffalo Feds and Chicago Feds<br />11. Original documentation from Federal League law suit with MLB<br /><br />Should you have any questions on the league, please do not hesitate<br />to write to us<br /><br />Bruce Dorskind<br />America's Toughest Want List

Archive 03-18-2008 09:27 AM

Posted By: <b>jim sexton</b><p>Bruce, Thanks for the information. Best wishes