Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Passionate Negro League Collectors (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349406)

aljurgela 05-15-2024 09:42 AM

Passionate Negro League Collectors

All,

I have had some conversations on with Topps/Fanatics about a program that they are running with respect to the Negro Leagues and they have asked to speak with other collectors who are similarly passionate about the topic. If you would like to be included on the list of collectors that they could reach out to, please send me your contact information via private message.

I cannot be sure that they will reach out to everyone, but I wanted to see who would be open to discussions with them.

Thanks in advance.

Al

The Detroit Collector 05-15-2024 11:10 AM

what does the program entail.

aljurgela 05-15-2024 11:38 AM

Road to Rickwood

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Detroit Collector (Post 2434620)
what does the program entail.

The first project is about the Road to Rickwood series of cards that they are going to issue. But I believe that they are looking at understanding this niche of the hobby more for other projects not yet defined.

Schlesinj 05-15-2024 12:30 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Speaking of, here are some photos when I did a drive by a few years ago.

Attachment 621577

Attachment 621578

Attachment 621579

aljurgela 05-15-2024 01:27 PM

Very cool.. thanks for sharing....

On the other side, I have not been on Net54 much in recent years, but will be appearing on a YouTube channel today to talk about my collection which includes a number of important Negro League cards....

Here is the link if anyone is interested...

https://www.youtube.com/live/VCUW6GX...hZWyTGQM8eWAk6

btw, it is scheduled for 5PM ET today.

Al

Swadewade51 05-15-2024 03:19 PM

Watching you as I'm writing this now! I'm interested Al and will send you my info.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

MuncieNolePAZ 05-15-2024 04:57 PM

Amazing YouTube video/interview Al! Thanks for sharing the link and some of your collection in the video.

Chad

aljurgela 05-15-2024 07:54 PM

Thanks Chad and Wade...

jerseygary 05-15-2024 10:10 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Not a card, but speaking of Rickwood, I just did the cover art for the latest SABR Baseball Research Journal Attachment 621653

aljurgela 05-15-2024 11:44 PM

Nice… love it

Mungo Hungo 05-15-2024 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aljurgela (Post 2434600)
All,

I have had some conversations on with Topps/Fanatics about a program that they are running with respect to the Negro Leagues and they have asked to speak with other collectors who are similarly passionate about the topic. If you would like to be included on the list of collectors that they could reach out to, please send me your contact information via private message.

I cannot be sure that they will reach out to everyone, but I wanted to see who would be open to discussions with them.

Thanks in advance.

Al

I'd love to see some cards that are intended to look like they were made during the players' careers. In other words, bios and stats written as though they were written while the player was still active. There have been some nice "art" cards along those lines, but otherwise very few of those type of cards have been made.

Seven 05-16-2024 06:17 AM

Al,

Will have to check out the video of the interview concerning your collection. I've always been fascinated by the Negro Leagues. So much history and so many incredible players.

aljurgela 05-16-2024 10:18 AM

I like that suggestion... and also James, check out the video, you will see a bunch of things that you almost never see on that video....

Topnotchsy 05-20-2024 11:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I'd be interested.

Topps didn't exist for much of the time that the Negro Leagues were active, but a Topps Heritage-style product that had Negro League players on Goudey cards etc would be extremely cool. A decent number of very significant players (Buck Leonard, Cool Papa Bell, Leon Day, Monte Irvin, Judy Johnson etc) are quite affordable and their signatures are available enough to make some cool cut autograph cards without worrying about damaging a very limited supply of available postcards and documents.

Here's one of my most significant Negro League related items.

bigfanNY 05-20-2024 01:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Every Thread needs a card..

Polarboy 05-21-2024 01:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerseygary (Post 2434772)
Not a card, but speaking of Rickwood, I just did the cover art for the latest SABR Baseball Research Journal Attachment 621653

What the heck?! That’s amazing! Do you have a portfolio, I’d love to see more of your art!

Mungo Hungo 05-21-2024 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Topnotchsy (Post 2435778)
I'd be interested.

Topps didn't exist for much of the time that the Negro Leagues were active, but a Topps Heritage-style product that had Negro League players on Goudey cards etc would be extremely cool.

And I bet it would be a great seller as well.

I wonder if cards in the style of 1922 American Caramel would be possible? Or 1941 Play Ball? I'm sure licensing, copyright, etc. might make some of this difficult or impossible, but there would seem to be some real possibilities to create high-quality "current" cards of some of those great players, as well as the very good players of that time.

dbrown 05-24-2024 08:08 AM

Since we're talking about the Rickwood Field material — what is up with the font choice for Satchel's name here?

It feels completely off-target, off-message, offensive, infantilizing, the whole nine yards. Who thought that "childish, badly educated handwriting" was the right aesthetic for the Negro Leagues? Satchel certainly did not write that way.

Some will say I am over-reacting. (They are wrong.)

https://www.topps.com/media/catalog/...atchelcase.png

MuncieNolePAZ 05-24-2024 08:51 AM

Former MLB player Micah Johnson designed them. Seems to be well received by Bob Kendrick.

https://www.mlb.com/news/negro-leagu...ood-field-game

Chad Paskiewicz

tkd 06-04-2024 10:56 PM

Gibson

Amazing! Would love to see more.