Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Why are they all from Pennsylvania? (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=349076)

Schlesinj 05-03-2024 04:40 PM

Why are they all from Pennsylvania?

I was wondering why it seems like so many great vintage sets were produced in PA. Even Topps and Fleer was in PA. I understand Philly is a big city, but what lead to the small candy subsets. Even Yuengling is from Pa.

Anyone have a place to read the history or can educate me and others?

sb1 05-03-2024 05:06 PM

Many of the early confectionary companies, Hershey, etc have their roots in PA and actually many are off-springs of one another. Williams Caramel and Breisch-Williams for example.

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2024 05:51 PM

That doesn't seem disproportionate for a sizeable state. All sorts of sets were made, for example, in Boston.

yanks87 05-03-2024 07:03 PM

I think all major cities had candy and baking companies, some focused on non-sport cards, others just focused on the candy. New York had candy brands like Leader Novelty that had all sorts of non-sport cards. Boston had Goudey and World Wide Gum. Chicago was another hot bed, with Wrigley, Cracker Jack and Leaf Brands (Dietz and Overland issues are also from the Leaf family).

At the root of it, immigrants hit the east coast and spread throughout the country. The fact that there are so many brands rooted in PA may be more related to success of start ups setting down roots early, or the fact that the iconic card sets had staying power and coincidentally were all based in the Keystone State.

uyu906 05-03-2024 07:15 PM

Pennsylvania

Pennsylvania also had Bowman and Play Ball cards.

Peter_Spaeth 05-03-2024 07:38 PM

Boston also had Boston Garter, US Caramel, DeLong, Double Play, probably more I am forgetting.

drcy 05-03-2024 07:41 PM

Before they moved it, Boston was in Pennsylvania

brianp-beme 05-04-2024 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drcy (Post 2431208)
Before they moved it, Boston was in Pennsylvania

Boston was moved? Get out of town!

Brian

iwantitiwinit 05-04-2024 10:41 AM

Don't forget Bowman and the Philadelphia gum company. A friend of mine's father, Edward Fenimore was a Vice President of Bowman before he established the Philadelphia Gum Company in Haverford, PA. Previously, he was a professor of engineering at UPENN. Philadephia gum's main business was confectionary's though it obtained a license from the NFL to produce football cards from 1964 through 1967.

Schlesinj 05-04-2024 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit (Post 2431323)
Don't forget Bowman and the Philadelphia gum company. A friend of mine's father, Edward Fenimore was a Vice President of Bowman before he established the Philadelphia Gum Company in Haverford, PA. Previously, he was a professor of engineering at UPENN. Philadephia gum's main business was confectionary's though it obtained a license from the NFL to produce football cards from 1964 through 1967.

Looking a Wikipedia the former site became a YMCA. For what it’s worth it is a very nice YMCA.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Philadelphia_Gum

akleinb611 05-04-2024 01:33 PM

Keep in mind also that Topps was NOT really a Pennsylvania company. They did move their warehouses and printing facilities to PA in the mid-Sixties, but they were essentially a Brooklyn-based company. I believe they kept their offices in NYC after the Sixties, although after the original family sold the business, it's possible they moved elsewhere. Still, in terms of its founding and growth as a confectionary giant, Topps was NY, not PA.

Leon 05-05-2024 09:57 AM

Why so many sets from PA?

1 Attachment(s)
+1... I thought candy makers immediately....

Quote:

Originally Posted by sb1 (Post 2431178)
Many of the early confectionary companies, Hershey, etc have their roots in PA and actually many are off-springs of one another. Williams Caramel and Breisch-Williams for example.