Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Childhood Reckoning? (real/fake) (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=344795)

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 09:21 AM

Childhood Reckoning? (real/fake)

9 Attachment(s)
The recent holidays provided the time to snap a few photos of signed items - mostly balls - that I had collected as kid. These originated from various sources, but most of them were not signed in-person and any COAs provided would not hold up in today's market. I've been meaning to do this for several years, always with some trepidation, but with the photos snapped and some time to kill on this Sunday morning, feel it is finally time to face the adult reckoning of an adolescent hobby. With that preface, I turn to you, Net54, and request your feedback on the following autos. Honest responses are greatly appreciated. There is no plan to move these at this time, but I am hopeful a better notion of each signature's (presumed) authenticity will help motivate me to better store/document/display several. Thanks for looking and chiming in where you feel comfortable!

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 09:42 AM

9 Attachment(s)
Sorry about the seemingly massive size of these shots, as well as their orientation... I can't seem to find directions on how to change either of these things...

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 10:07 AM

Baseball Details

1) Harry Kalas (HOF 2002) - OML(?)
2) Brooks Robinson, Sparky Lyle, Jim Catfish Hunter - cheap Rawlings
3) Barry Bonds - Leonard Coleman ONL; Steiner Holographic Sticker
4) Ken Griffey Jr. - Bobby Brown OAL
5) Stan Musial - William D. White ONL
6) Warren Spahn - Unknown Ball (cheap)
7) Yogi Berra - Brown OAL
8) Carlton, Schmidt, Rose - Coleman ONL
9) Gaylord Perry - Colement ONL
10) Curt Schilling(?) - Bud Selig OML
11) Duke Snider - Charles Feeney ONL
12) Harmon Killebrew - Gene Budig OAL
13) Bob Feller HOF '62 - Budig OAL
14) Samy Sosa - Coleman ONL
15) Tony Gwynn .394/94 - OML(?)
16) Pete Rose - Coleman ONL
17) Hank Aaron - Coleman ONL

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-07-2024 10:13 AM

Forgive the tone of what I say, but if you want free help with things like this, it's not the greatest form to post a ton all at once, and also figure out how not to post the photos sideways.

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 10:30 AM

Flats/Etc.

10 Attachment(s)
And a few flat/other items...

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyCoxDodgers3B (Post 2402798)
Forgive the tone of what I say, but if you want free help with things like this, it's not the greatest form to post a ton all at once, and also figure out how not to post the photos sideways.

I acknowledge and apologize again about size/orientation. I will attempt to edit (or remove) the sideways images. As for improved form, do you have any recommendations? A singular thread for each item seemed silly, but apologies if that is what members of the board prefer. Open to recommendations regarding the free help as well... PSA/JSA/other? I'm not a frequent poster but certainly a frequent reader and probably can't provide close to what the site has provided me on any level.

BillyCoxDodgers3B 01-07-2024 10:54 AM

Just post a few at a time, then wait a while before asking again, that's all. Flooding the board with so many things at once can be a turn-off to those helping you out.

That's always been my take on the best approach.

rand1com 01-07-2024 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Southpaw85 (Post 2402808)
I acknowledge and apologize again about size/orientation. I will attempt to edit (or remove) the sideways images. As for improved form, do you have any recommendations? A singular thread for each item seemed silly, but apologies if that is what members of the board prefer. Open to recommendations regarding the free help as well... PSA/JSA/other? I'm not a frequent poster but certainly a frequent reader and probably can't provide close to what the site has provided me on any level.

Overall, the autographs look fine. As someone else stated, posting 2-3 at a time with clear pictures will obviously result in better and more accurate opinions but just perusing through the ones pictured I would opine most of them to be genuine based on a quick look. The Aaron is not IMO authentic.

Southpaw85 01-07-2024 11:24 AM

Deleting Post

Thanks for feedback - I will delete and better report later. Sorry for inconveniences all around...

WhatsNext 01-07-2024 01:08 PM

Aaron and Sosa look bad, no idea about Bonds. All others are 100% authentic.

Kaneen 01-07-2024 03:41 PM

First off, now that you have the pics oriented properly, I see absolutely nothing wrong with your post.

As for the autographs, Aaron and Sosa were the 2 that gave me pause also, but the majority of what I see look fine. I think you navigated your childhood collecting years better than most...except for the unfortunate ones that were signed on cheap balls and have bled/faded badly as a result.

Good luck with your collection!

Kco 01-08-2024 08:12 AM

Mostly good :)

All the balls except for Aaron and Sosa Balls are fine.

All flats appear good as well, so you did pretty well!

:)

Rob L 01-09-2024 10:22 PM

Aaron and Sosa were the ones I noticed. All others seem fine!

swarmee 01-10-2024 06:50 PM

Same; you have a lot of items/players that are unlikely to be faked. So many of those guys were on the card show circuit for decades, and their autographs are consistent, that nearly all of them are good.
As for which you should get authenticated, I would say the convention page with Mays on it. Then the Bonds, Griffey Jr, and maybe the Gwynn ball.

On the others, you'd pay more than half what the items are worth for the authentication, IMO. That's where it's a waste of money to me.

mcgwirecom 01-10-2024 07:29 PM

Aaron and Sosa jumped out as no good.

Southpaw85 01-15-2024 08:30 AM

Thank you!

Thank you for all who shared their opinions. At this point, I think it is clearly the case that neither the Aaron nor Sosa are authentic; disappointed with the Aaron but clearly recall it being a mid-to-late 90s $40 eBay purchase. Not sure where the Sosa originated from.

As noted, many of the signatures are from players who frequently made show appearances and aren't quite of the caliber for which frauds/forgeries are being commonly produced (e.g., Kalas, Spahn, Feller) - some of those probably could have gone without me listing them, but overall I am glad I did.

I had the multi-signed Mays piece framed years ago, confident that all the signatures were authentic. Should the time come, I will consider having Mays/all the signatures authenticated.

Southpaw85 01-20-2024 05:41 PM

Stans Sports Memorabilia COAs

2 Attachment(s)
COA file recovered - both the Aaron and Sosa seem to have originated from 'Stans Sports Memorabilia'. A quick search suggests Stan and 'Operation Bullpen' have been well documented. I would have purchased these in the late 90s, probably with birthday or bar mitzvah money... I'd buy money orders at a local NE Philly pawn shop. I *think* I can even recall making a point to only purchase signed items - mostly balls - that came with COAs. I wonder what ~$75 of 1998 Apple stock would look like today?!?

I'm sneaking in unknown signature here, this time on a hockey stick. Flyers player, perhaps?

philliesfan 01-24-2024 07:02 AM

As mostly what everyone else said......they appear all good except the Aaron. I have no clue on the Sosa.
Best of luck,
Bob