Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   You've Never Seen One: 1950 R423 BLUE Back Strip (PSA), Gehrig/W. Johnson (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=334865)

Estwd 05-01-2023 03:43 PM

You've Never Seen One: 1950 R423 BLUE Back Strip (PSA), Gehrig/W. Johnson

3 Attachment(s)
Only one known, PSA graded: BLUE back 1950 R423 complete strip featuring Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson and other HOFers. PSA has only graded 14 individual blue back cards from this set (12 of which I own). The Gehrig and Johnson blue backs are NOT among those that have been graded individually, so they only exist in this strip.

batsballsbases 05-01-2023 05:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
your Don Newcombe pic looks to be the same one they used on one of his PM10 pins..

Estwd 05-01-2023 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by batsballsbases (Post 2336532)
your Don Newcombe pic looks to be the same one they used on one of his PM10 pins..

I'm a Ted Williams collector and his bat on shoulder pic at Fenway was used in like 20 different pieces in the '50's.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

doug.goodman 05-01-2023 11:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Estwd (Post 2336507)
Only one known, PSA graded: BLUE back 1950 R423 complete strip featuring Lou Gehrig, Walter Johnson and other HOFers. PSA has only graded 14 individual blue back cards from this set (12 of which I own). The Gehrig and Johnson blue backs are NOT among those that have been graded individually, so they only exist in this strip.

Well, when something is the only one known, it is certainly rare, and while they are only KNOWN to exist on this strip, that does not mean with certainty that no others exist.

Here's the only known Ruth Blum's version 2, but I'm more confident that there are others than I am that I own the only one.

Doug

Estwd 05-04-2023 08:25 AM

Great Ruth! And I agree, rare indeed, but no way to tell how many are being used as insulation across the country.

Quote:

Originally Posted by doug.goodman (Post 2336624)
Well, when something is the only one known, it is certainly rare, and while they are only KNOWN to exist on this strip, that does not mean with certainty that no others exist.

Here's the only known Ruth Blum's version 2, but I'm more confident that there are others than I am that I own the only one.

Doug

sflayank 05-04-2023 10:48 AM

strip

y psa put blue back is ridiculous
its a purple back and i have the same strip

Estwd 05-04-2023 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sflayank (Post 2337277)
y psa put blue back is ridiculous

its a purple back and i have the same strip

Nope, you can clearly see in my graded examples below, purple on the left and blue on the right.

If you truly have a blue strip, post pics in this thread.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...aee1ae0329.jpg

sflayank 05-04-2023 05:46 PM

The color was changed by sun or water or something
There's an ad for these shown somewhere on here and blue is not a color...and I can see the top half of some of yours are purple

bigfanNY 05-04-2023 09:44 PM

I 100% Agree with Larry. I have seen these listed as Purple/Blue but They are in fact Purple. I bought a partial strip with grove Etc with Purple back last year here on BST for under $50 the color is the same as you call blue I will look for it and post.
I did see you previously posted about the rarity of these in PSA cases labeled as Blue. But PSA makes mistakes just like all the rest of us. Trying to market their mistake for $3,000.00 is just not cool. Because eventually PSA will correct their mistake.
Jonathan

Estwd 05-04-2023 10:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2337435)
I 100% Agree with Larry. I have seen these listed as Purple/Blue but They are in fact Purple. I bought a partial strip with grove Etc with Purple back last year here on BST for under $50 the color is the same as you call blue I will look for it and post.
I did see you previously posted about the rarity of these in PSA cases labeled as Blue. But PSA makes mistakes just like all the rest of us. Trying to market their mistake for $3,000.00 is just not cool. Because eventually PSA will correct their mistake.
Jonathan

If you had examples of both in person you'd clearly see the color difference. And the blue is much darker than the purple. So with your logic you are saying that these all started as blue and that 99 out of 100 faded to purple (based on pop reports). Doesn't seem logical.

doug.goodman 05-05-2023 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigfanNY (Post 2337435)
... Because eventually PSA will correct their mistake...

But will they?

Leon 05-11-2023 08:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Estwd (Post 2337451)
If you had examples of both in person you'd clearly see the color difference. And the blue is much darker than the purple. So with your logic you are saying that these all started as blue and that 99 out of 100 faded to purple (based on pop reports). Doesn't seem logical.

I am not up to date on these but -
I think what he is saying is that the purple got exposed to sun, or something, and made the purple back look blue. It happens all of the time in the hobby with colors fading.