Net54baseball.com Forums

Net54baseball.com Forums (http://www.net54baseball.com/index.php)
-   Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions (http://www.net54baseball.com/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Goldin adds marketplace and weekly auctions (http://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=330104)

Peter_Spaeth 01-09-2023 04:02 PM

Goldin adds marketplace and weekly auctions

Direct challenge to PWCC, it would appear. First the vault, now this.

https://goldin.co/about?utm_source=G...hing_Next_Week

raulus 01-09-2023 04:12 PM

More please!!

I’ve always felt like we don’t have nearly enough auctions.

Lucas00 01-09-2023 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2302639)
i’ve always felt like we don’t have nearly enough auctions.

😂

Johnny630 01-09-2023 04:25 PM

They know many collectors, investors, and dealers are addicted to auctions. Many can’t control themselves to not bid. Many miss a bigger piece in the main auction, do they chill? No, they look for the next auction. This is smart marketing.

raulus 01-09-2023 04:38 PM

Just a guess

I suspect that this weekly auction will tend to attract a lot of lower-priced items. Not that different than a lot of the PWCC weekly auction pieces. Of course, there will still be some nice stuff sprinkled around here and there!

It could be a nice way to pick up some items that would have historically gone to eBay, but with the new 1099 regime, people are scared to go there. And as Peter notes, if they don't want to go to PWCC to list in their quickie weekly auction, then this is an option.

Not that different than PWCC's weekly auctions, it might be a nice alternative venue to score some pieces at lower prices, and without some of the bidding competition that you get with the premier auctions, since these weekly auctions tend to attract fewer eyeballs.

3-2-count 01-09-2023 04:41 PM

This is the future.

More AH’s will follow suit.

JimmyC 01-09-2023 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucas00 (Post 2302642)
😂

Hilarious - yes, 10-20 more auctions are needed….

trambo 01-09-2023 05:20 PM

Quote:

I think if we had like 6 maybe 7 more, it'd be perfect.....:D

Peter_Spaeth 01-09-2023 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raulus (Post 2302649)
I suspect that this weekly auction will tend to attract a lot of lower-priced items. Not that different than a lot of the PWCC weekly auction pieces. Of course, there will still be some nice stuff sprinkled around here and there!

It could be a nice way to pick up some items that would have historically gone to eBay, but with the new 1099 regime, people are scared to go there. And as Peter notes, if they don't want to go to PWCC to list in their quickie weekly auction, then this is an option.

Not that different than PWCC's weekly auctions, it might be a nice alternative venue to score some pieces at lower prices, and without some of the bidding competition that you get with the premier auctions, since these weekly auctions tend to attract fewer eyeballs.

Do only expensive cards qualify as "nice stuff"? Not in my book.

Snapolit1 01-09-2023 05:48 PM

If everything is going up in price, why are so many people rushing to sell their stuff? :confused:

raulus 01-09-2023 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2302664)

Fair enough, which is why I attempted to tip my cap to that notion by noting that nice stuff would also be sprinkled around here and there. But perhaps I should have tipped my cap more vigorously.

BobbyStrawberry 01-09-2023 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Snapolit1 (Post 2302670)
If everything is going up in price, why are so many people rushing to sell their stuff? :confused:

There's got to be a Yogi Berra quote for this...

Peter_Spaeth 01-09-2023 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2302701)

The logic or illogic is similar to Yogi's observation that nobody goes there any more because it's too crowded.

Casey2296 01-09-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2302664)

Not in mine, personally I would love to see the market flooded with E94!s, 14CJ's, rareback candy issues, and whatever rare cards are out there that are on my list.

Lorewalker 01-09-2023 07:18 PM

Quote:

I do a lot in real estate. When prices are high and going up there is more inventory on the market than any other time. Nobody makes a profit by not selling. Paper profits mean nothing.

Eric72 01-09-2023 07:32 PM

Direct quote from the email Goldin sent:

“… You bring the grail. Goldin takes care of everything else. Grade, vault and list with ease on the Hobby's only all-in-one platform…”

Over/under on the amount of time it’s the only one?

Peter_Spaeth 01-09-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2302716)
Direct quote from the email Goldin sent:

“… You bring the grail. Goldin takes care of everything else. Grade, vault and list with ease on the Hobby's only all-in-one platform…”

Over/under on the amount of time it’s the only one?

I thought PWCC submitted cards for people too.

parkplace33 01-09-2023 07:37 PM

Quote:

This made me laugh out loud :D

perezfan 01-09-2023 07:42 PM

Don't forget that Heritage conducts pretty similar weekly auctions as well.

Eric72 01-09-2023 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2302717)
I thought PWCC submitted cards for people too.

Aren’t Goldin and PSA part of the same company?

Peter_Spaeth 01-09-2023 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eric72 (Post 2302742)
Aren’t Goldin and PSA part of the same company?

Common ownership yes, but PWCC offers the same services (grade, vault, list) they just outsource one of them.

Jewish-collector 01-09-2023 09:41 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Some organization (other than ebay) should create an auction environment where all the 100+ sports auction houses can list & auction/sell their cards & memorabilia all together. Why not all put them under one entity ? Oh hell yeah.Attachment 551840Attachment 551840Attachment 551840

Eric72 01-09-2023 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth (Post 2302752)
Common ownership yes, but PWCC offers the same services (grade, vault, list) they just outsource one of them.

Ah, so Goldin employing semantics within their ad. Color me stunned.

Johnny630 01-10-2023 04:10 AM

Auction Houses IMO are attempting to look like Brokerage Accounts. Fancy marketing along with a hot market are surefire ways to draw in the least informed. The fear of missing out is powerful. As one said about paper gains are nothing…until those gains are on USD Treasury Currency Paper. The smart money is holding their cards or their trimming the excess non-top tier and going to sit it in safety where they could get 4 1/2% or more for sitting on their rear ends. Not going in and out of these vaults wasting money on transactions and seller/service fee’s. I'm sitting back with the bat on my shoulder waiting for that right pitch.

notfast 01-10-2023 08:03 AM

Goldin’s auctions(and PWCC) are littered with crap. $10 starting bid items that don’t get bids because they definitely aren’t worth it nor the $19+ they charge to ship an item first class USPS.

rats60 01-10-2023 12:21 PM

Quote:

To buy better stuff? That is what I do. When I sell something, I use the money to buy something that I want more than what I sold.

pawpawdiv9 01-10-2023 01:18 PM

Was trying to login into Goldin--- somehow its not working, just a plain white page.
Is it broken again??

Eric72 01-10-2023 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobbyStrawberry (Post 2302701)

They're really hard to find; everyone's selling them...

mantlefan 01-10-2023 07:20 PM

Bad for EBAY

Weekly auctions, marketplaces. Keep them coming. Maybe EBAY will notice and reverse some of their stupid policies.

Exhibitman 01-10-2023 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mantlefan (Post 2303082)
Weekly auctions, marketplaces. Keep them coming. Maybe EBAY will notice and reverse some of their stupid policies.

Dr. Frank for the win! That's exactly what I was thinking. This is not more auctions, it is an effort to compete with eBay. REA has done great with its Encore auctions, which are basically targeted at eBay. I consigned a ton to them because it is retail sales and mimics eBay without the lunacy on the fulfillment end. They also have that very reasonable flat fee $10 shipping, so you can buy a bunch of cards at low prices and not get destroyed on shipping. I hate HA's weeklies because of the ridiculous minimum BP and shipping. Paying $70 for a $25 card is normal there. But there was a gap in the market between eBat and AHs who don't have a retail wing. Nothing makes my teeth gnash like having an AH glop together all sorts of stuff in my consignment to make some random minimum value, just so an eBay seller could break it down and take my profit.

Aquarian Sports Cards 01-11-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Exhibitman (Post 2303125)
Nothing makes my teeth gnash like having an AH glop together all sorts of stuff in my consignment to make some random minimum value, just so an eBay seller could break it down and take my profit.

You are practically describing our business model, check our signature on every post!

cgjackson222 01-20-2023 11:26 AM

Just took a gander at Goldin's first weekly auction.

There appear to be 268 baseball cards, of which 7 are pre-war, and none of those pre-war cards are of much value. The one with the highest bid is $28: a 1933 R337 Eclipse Import, Hand Cut #419 Frank Frisch – PSA PR 1 (MK)

Their January "Elite Auction" only has one pre-war lot: a T206 Partial Set (440/525)

I don't follow Goldin closely and have never purchased from them, but was a little surprised that they have virtually no pre-war offerings.

Anyway, this is probably not news to anyone.

jefferyepayne 01-20-2023 04:52 PM

Gosh, at this rate Goldin will be selling things on late night TV to unsuspecting grandmothesr. Wait ..... never mind.

jeff

raulus 01-20-2023 04:58 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by jefferyepayne (Post 2306295)
Gosh, at this rate Goldin will be selling things on late night TV to unsuspecting grandmothesr. Wait ..... never mind.

jeff

Bingo.

BobbyStrawberry 01-20-2023 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cgjackson222 (Post 2306183)
Just took a gander at Goldin's first weekly auction.

There appear to be 268 baseball cards, of which 7 are pre-war, and none of those pre-war cards are of much value. The one with the highest bid is $28: a 1933 R337 Eclipse Import, Hand Cut #419 Frank Frisch – PSA PR 1 (MK)

Their January "Elite Auction" only has one pre-war lot: a T206 Partial Set (440/525)

I don't follow Goldin closely and have never purchased from them, but was a little surprised that they have virtually no pre-war offerings.

Anyway, this is probably not news to anyone.

Do you still have to scroll through dozens of pages of post-war just to find them?

troutbum97 10-19-2023 10:28 AM

Beware - Goldin is trash.

It appears they have not improved.

Three weeks ago, I won a single card in their elite auction.

Immediately, they started sending me texts & emails to pay ASAP. I received 2 texts and 2 emails within 18-24 hrs of auction ending to pay ASAP.

Fine. I want the spamming to end. So I pay w/ credit card and take on their increased BP fee.

Well.... it has been 3 weeks now, and these losers still have not shipped my card.

I once won a single M116 HOF card from them they they failed to ship for over a month - I finally had to chase them down with emails to get them to ship.

Buyers beware from this clown show.

Brian May

anchorednw 10-19-2023 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbum97 (Post 2381769)
Beware - Goldin is trash.

It appears they have not improved.

Buyers beware from this clown show.

Brian May

I am currently in the same boat, waiting on cards from that same auction.

Really chaps me that they are so damn terrible and inefficient (and expensive)

brianp-beme 10-19-2023 01:35 PM

The last multiple posts on the following thread involved the same shipping issues experienced by other members, and included a post by Ken.

https://www.net54baseball.com/showthread.php?t=340588

Brian

troutbum97 10-19-2023 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anchorednw (Post 2381788)
I am currently in the same boat, waiting on cards from that same auction.

Really chaps me that they are so damn terrible and inefficient (and expensive)

I do not mind waiting on shipping. AH get backed up, I understand.

But back the F off the fascist constant emails & texts, forcing me to pay ASAP.

I wanted to pay by mailing a check USPS ... but Goldin's hounding me forced me pay by credit card & eat the 3% fee .... just to wait now 3-4 weeks before my card arrives.

EDIT - Venting here must have worked - they just shipped my card within the last hour.

kengoldin 10-19-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by troutbum97 (Post 2381842)
I do not mind waiting on shipping. AH get backed up, I understand.

But back the F off the fascist constant emails & texts, forcing me to pay ASAP.

I wanted to pay by mailing a check USPS ... but Goldin's hounding me forced me pay by credit card & eat the 3% fee .... just to wait now 3-4 weeks before my card arrives.

EDIT - Venting here must have worked - they just shipped my card within the last hour.

No
Venting on here actually didn’t work.
I had a staff member contact you and ask for your name and email so we could get you shipped. You did not provide that info to them (they forwarded me your reply), so we could not help you. That said, it appears as you said your order shipped anyway, which means the efforts I referred to in my post 2 days ago has worked. At this point over 75% of the backlog has been cleaned up , and again I am sorry for any inconvenience this delay caused.
Once again, if it makes you feel better to post insults feel free to do so, but if you need to get something accomplished I am going to be very hands on. So feel free to email me personally at ken@goldin.com

JeremyW 10-19-2023 02:32 PM

Whether right or wrong, it's nice to see an auction owner respond to complaints on net54.

icurnmedic 10-20-2023 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyW (Post 2381857)
Whether right or wrong, it's nice to see an auction owner respond to complaints on net54.

No skin in the game but I Agree 100%

troutbum97 10-20-2023 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kengoldin (Post 2381853)
No
Venting on here actually didn’t work.
I had a staff member contact you and ask for your name and email so we could get you shipped. You did not provide that info to them (they forwarded me your reply), so we could not help you. That said, it appears as you said your order shipped anyway, which means the efforts I referred to in my post 2 days ago has worked. At this point over 75% of the backlog has been cleaned up , and again I am sorry for any inconvenience this delay caused.
Once again, if it makes you feel better to post insults feel free to do so, but if you need to get something accomplished I am going to be very hands on. So feel free to email me personally at ken@goldin.com

No tracking number showing in my order, so it probably did not ship yet.
Someone most likely just clicked "SHIPPED" in the system, and then who knows.

DJR 10-21-2023 09:50 AM

Ken reached out to address my question, thanks

Exhibitman 10-21-2023 10:31 AM

I am sympathetic to the collectors who did not get their stuff in a reasonable time but that issue has been addressed and explained, so why not give the AH a chance to get it right, or use the direct contact info that Ken provided instead of railing here?

With regard to the pestering exhortations to pay, there is a simple solution: don't. If you want to pay by check and that is an option, just do it and send the emails to the trash unread. No one has to do something just because someone is a pest. Just Say No (I think I read that somewhere).

Thread needs a card:

https://photos.imageevent.com/exhibi...ack%20Ruth.jpg

jsfriedm 10-24-2023 02:37 PM

And it appears that Goldin weekly auctions are now a thing of the past.

CardPadre 10-24-2023 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsfriedm (Post 2383211)

Did they announce that or just a guess based on not having one this week? I was thinking maybe they were skipping one or more weeklies to catch up on shipping and possibly would come back with them at a higher value point and less inventory.

jsfriedm 10-24-2023 03:10 PM

I assumed based on what Ken Goldin said on this forum plus the lack of one this week. I think it would be strange to skip a few weeks and then go back to it.

kengoldin 10-24-2023 04:00 PM

Quote:

https://goldin.co/buy/?Auctions=2023...5-7455e07083bf

https://goldin.co/buy/?Auctions=2023...4-f1c4ee1d29ab

2 weeklies running just now
I just delayed the open for the one opening today to ensure we can timely ship everything in it.
Did not see an urgency to open it at 8am Tuesday, we opened it 430pm

Peter_Spaeth 10-24-2023 06:29 PM

Quote:

I am reminded of the famous Mark Twain quote. :)